Tuesday 4 March 2008

american dreamers


check me out adding a video to my blog.
at the risk of sounding racist - americans are fucking weird.
having seen a few shows recently from gordon ramseys kitchen nightmares usa. gordon ramsey's shows are usually a bit of a guilty pleasure for me (maybe just because they warn of strong language at the start of each show)but this american version is freaky.
the editing turns it into a big sensational showdown. you see some clips four times during the show as they preview what is coming next.
as for the freaks that gordon shouts at and ultimately turns around (every time - this is america)it is hard to work out what planet they are on.

the video clip which i embedded (quite proud of that one) is from "american inventor" which has all the hype of x factor or american idol, but is for people who have invented stuff. i watched 20 minutes and simply couldn't take any more. the highlight has to be george "minigrill" foreman saying yes to everyone. he seems genuinely impressed by these peoples "inventions".

there is just such a difference between northern irish culture and the us of a. i loved watching "pimp my ride uk" just to see the crap reactions compared to the over the top hollering that the americans do so well.

having said that shows like lost and west wing are just amazing, and i do enjoy lots of american things, and i am fully aware that not everyone is "fucking weird" in america.

just thought i would share that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just to help you in your quest to love the world...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2775105.stm

RG said...

I would seem that all males who appear in some capacity on US shows - particularly Gordon Ramsey's show - have been in some way orphaned, or lacked a male role model growing up. They are generally very flaky and seem to need all manner of melodrama and reassurance to bolster them through even the most trivial change processes....usually they get to some cathartic moment of explosion, before conceding to the Ramsey-father figure in a pudgy flood of needy tears....Not a very compassionate formulation, but I feel an accurate one nonetheless.

We can only hope they do not reflect US society in general, in the same way we can only hope that Hollyoaks does not represent the UK.

man, I hate that show!!

Now I'm gonna cook the best darned dinner they ever saw, I mean it man...I mean it...I is gonna make my pops proud man...you can't stop me...hug me, hug me!

yee gods

p.s. i am jealous of your youtube insert, I can't even manage hyperlinks without messing it up....nice one beardy.

I miss the 'almost too beardy' comment tho..it always made me laugh out loud.