Monday 2 July 2007

some christians really piss me off

don't know if anyone willever read this but i feel the need to vent my spleen and i may as well do it here.
i have just read an article on the bbc news site about a christian teenager who is taking her school to the high court becasue she feels that they are discriminating against christians by not allowing her to wear her "purity" ring http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6229098.stm.

i don't know if there is something wrong with me or not, but i get annoyed when i see things like this.
it is part of the whole "society is being secularised" bullshit that (to my mind) a worryingly large group of christians fall for.

it frustrates me, because it just doesn't seem important enough a thing to spend all your energy on as a christian. why not spend your time and energy standing up for others instead of looking to protect your place as a christian in society.

teh girl just sounds so self righteous in a way that gets under my skin, but it is near the end of the articles where the real villian appears.
her dad, "the pastor" talking of the sign of a wider conspiracy against christians.
it's things lijke this taht make me want to conspire against them.

if anyone ever does read this i would be interested to know if i am alone in thinking this, or if you disagree, i would love to hear from you.

pj

2 comments:

RG said...

Well said, bearded one.

Misguided Christians are often of the view that public declarations of piety and holy superiority (e.g. look at my purity ring, I'm so holy) will literally 'wow' others into an irresistible state of belief. It merely feeds the fragile egos of the religious with pomp, and creates further disdain among an already disillusioned secular public.

(Having said that I still find it unfair that I have been twice banned from wearing my thong of truth in public places).

Hope you get some well earned rest tonight beardy.

I enjoyed your indulgent blog.

RG

Julie said...

well, well, well . . . look who's blogging now. very interesting. for the record beardy bastard, i agree with you on the ring thing . . . oh yeah, one more thing - smell my beard.